Brioche, the subject

After several attempts at learning to brioche knit, I can finally say that I can successfully do it.  I had attempted to learn from a class on Craftsy.com.  There was nothing wrong with the class, and I will probably revisit it now that I know the basics.  There is just something better about getting to watch a human complete the task live, being able to ask questions, and watching others do it alongside of you that seems to help a lot.  This was so true for me with brioche knitting.  

I have always admired brioche knitting with its lofty, warm fabric and the beauty of having a reversible fabric with both right and wrong sides looking equally amazing.  I attended a workshop at Sunny Side Yarns in Rogersville, Tennessee with my aunt Jane and cousin Connie.  It was taught by one of the owners of the shop, Heleen Vanzelst.  She did a nice job and was very knowledgeable about the subject.  We learned to brioche knit in three different ways, American Style, Dutch Style, and Mock Brioche (or Mistake Rib).  American Style was the most complicated, but we all agreed it was also the best looking.  It was less complicated as you started working it, because you get in a rhythm.  Dutch Style was super easy and worked up quickly with ease.  Mock Brioche was nice but created a much narrower fabric.

We cast on for a Brioche Stitch scarf. I'm knitting mine on size 7 needles with Ella Rae's Classic Heathers yarn in color #160. Here's what I've done so far...



Comments

Popular Posts