Charcoal gray hug

This year is the 43rd annual New York Sheep and Wool Festival, or as those in the knitting world call it, "Rhinebeck".  40,000 fans of all things wool descend upon this small town the third weekend of October annually. This will be my first trip to Rhinebeck, and I can hardly contain my excitement.  I've been listening to podcasts and reading blogs about it. Drinking it all in and dreaming of our trip.  I even picked up a book yesterday by Ysolda Teague called Ysolda and Friends Celebrate Sheep and Wool with the Rhinebeck Sweater: A Collection of Twelve Sweater Patterns, Stories, and More. It's a beautifully done book with gorgeous sweater patterns. 
It is exactly a month away, and I can't wait. I have wanted to attend the festival for many years. When my husband's cousin Connie mentioned she would like to go, I didn't hesitate to get the reservations in motion. Connie is a blogger and can be found at www.modernranchwife.com.  She lives on a ranch in Wyoming and always has something going on.  She blogs about the ranch, as well as cooking, crafting and more. It's going to be a wonderful mother-daughter trip.  Her mother Jane and my mother Gloria are both going. My mom just learned to knit last week, so she will not be donning a Rhinebeck sweater.  However, she will perhaps wear the knitted shawl I made for her earlier this year. She's looking forward to seeing all the animals and visiting the Vanderbilt and Roosevelt homes in the nearby town of Hyde Park. 

Aunt Jane has been working on a beautiful sweater from Jennifer Wood's book Refined Knits.  She is knitting it out of Brown Sheep Wool's Serendipity Tweed.  She's getting close to finishing, and it's looking amazing. It is a cabled pullover knit from the top down. The pattern was challenging to understand at times but the finished project will be worth it. (I'll be sure to get some pictures of her at the festival wearing her sweater to share).

I haven't heard what Connie is knitting as her Rhinebeck sweater, I think it is going to be a surprise. She has considered several patterns like the Legacy Cardigan by MinLizKnit on Ravelry or the Campside Cardigan by Alicia Plummer.  They are both pretty.  (Don't worry I'll get a picture of her at the festival in her sweater to share as well).

I finished my Rhinebeck Sweater about a month ago.  I'm just getting around to blocking it though.  It is made from Juniper Moon Farm's Moonshine yarn in the Charcoal color way. It is an amazing blend of alpaca, wool and silk.  The pattern I chose was Chaparral by Amy Miller. It is a gorgeous design, and the pattern can be found in Berroco Portfolio, Volume 1. I think I'm going to love wearing this sweater. The color is a nice basic that will go with a lot in my wardrobe. Before blocking I feared that it would be a little too short, but after blocking it is the perfect length.




Comments

Popular Posts