To Block or Not to Block

The Selbu Modern is finished.  It took a bath last night and is drying.  The only good thing about the cooler weather headed my way is that I get to wear my new hat.
I have finally embraced the beauty of blocking.  I used to read books and hear everyone say to block your knitted items. Sometimes I did.  Mostly I didn't, until recently.  I usually didn't have the patience to wait out the drying process.  If I made something, I immediately wanted to gift it to the lucky recipient or wear it myself.  And then there was that unfortunate steam blocking incident with the cable cardigan.   I over-blocked it, making all the beautiful cables flat as pancakes.  I had no choice but to felt the thing and turn it into a purse.   You get creative when tragedy strikes your knitting.  

I have overcome my fears and now know that blocking is like a bubble bath to us.  It makes us relaxed and more beautiful.  Cast your fears aside and block on! 

Do you have any blocking stories?  Nightmares or triumphs?  I'd love to hear about them.

Comments

Popular Posts